Pages

Monday, March 12, 2012

Thrifty Tip #3 - Vinegar - Super Cleaner!

   Continuing with the, "Thrifty Theme," I wanted to share with you my very favorite homemade cleaning supply, White Vinegar!
 There are so many reasons that I enjoy using natural cleaners like vinegar... one of them being, of course, it saves money and time by using ingredients that are simple, affordable and easy to find in the grocery store!
I also love that vinegar is gentle enough that my two year old can help me clean and I don't have to worry about him hurting himself with strong chemicals. Discovering that vinegar will clean and disinfect almost anything, soften laundry and remove odors gave it an A+ in my book! When I started using vinegar I thought, "Why have I never heard about this until now?" "This stuff is truly amazing!" Maybe I'm going a little overboard with my enthusiasm, but  now I keep a spray bottle of diluted vinegar with my cleaning supplies and use it for almost every cleaning project. After you read about all of vinegar's many uses, you may just need to get yourself a spray bottle and try it out! 

Here are just a few ways that I use this super cleaner in my home.


1. Kills Bad Smells in Carpet.
   Fill a spray bottle with equal parts water and vinegar. Mist over carpet and allow to dry with ventilation. At first the room will smell of vinegar, but when the vinegar drys the room will smell fresh. I promise, this works! I tried this in a room that had a horrible urine smell and after the vinegar dried, everything smelled great!


2. Softens Laundry.
    Add 1/4 Cup of vinegar to the rinse cycle of your washing machine and it will soften clothes,  eliminate static, and I have been told, it will prevent yellowing of your whites. I make my own fabric softener that includes vinegar. It works wonderfully!


3. Unclog Drains.
    Pour baking soda down your clogged drain, followed by a cup of vinegar. Allow to sit for a while, then poor hot water down your drain.

4. Toilet Bowl Scrub and Bathtub Scrub.
   Sprinkle the toilet bowl and tub with baking soda and spray vinegar over the baking soda. Allow the baking soda to bubble up for a minute then scrub. This works so well that I will never go back to any other cleaner. I keep a small plastic tub filled with baking soda to use just for the bathroom. It doesn't take much and your kids will want to help you since it's so fun to watch the bubbling action!

 5. Stain Removal.
     Dab a stain with white vinegar or soak with equal parts vinegar and water. For really bad stains, add one cup of vinegar to a half gallon of hot water and soak garment until stain is gone.Undiluted vinegar will also remove underarm stains, deodorant residue, and perspiration if sprayed straight onto the desired area. Here is a great website with many more stain fighting ideas: Vinegar Tips.

6. Dishwasher Rinse.
   Add white vinegar to the liquid rinse compartment of your dishwasher. This is what I always use and it works wonderfully to keep your dishes spot free and squeaky clean.


7. Multipurpose 409 cleaner.
(I love this recipe because it has a pleasant scent, can be used anywhere and cleans up soap scum. One of my best all purpose cleaners!)

  • 2 Tbsp. Distilled White Vinegar
  • 1 Tsp. Borax
  • 1/8 cup Dawn Dish soap
  • 1 cup Hot Water
  • Spray Bottle {16 oz.}
What to do: Add everything together in the spray bottle and go try it out!

Its been exciting to learn of new ways to simplify and save! I love the challenge and love being able to pass on what I'm learning to you! If you tried some of these ideas or have more uses for vinegar, let me know! I have several other homemade concoctions that I will share later, but for now, have fun experimenting with your own super cleaner and have a blessed day!
Joy



No comments: